Click here to view the American helicopters in the collection.
North American

Click here to view the Eastern European helicopters in the collection.
Eastern European

Click here to view the European helicopters in the collection.
Western European
 


The Museum is a mobility friendly attraction with wheelchair access
to all areas

Click Here for your Free Discount Voucher

The Helicopter Museum
Locking Moor Road
Weston-super-Mare
Somerset,
BS24 8PP, England

Tel. 01934-635227

Click here to email the museum.

The Helicopter Museum

Home

Visitor Information

Events

The Collection

Air Experience Flights

How to Find Us

Contact Us

The Bristol Aeroplane Company (formerly British and Colonial Aeroplane Company) began building primitive Bristol Boxkites in a former tram shed and became famous for the production of the war-time Blenhein and Beaufighter, the Brabazon airliner prototypes, the Britannia and Freighter and the Belvedere and Sycamore helicopters. The helicopter divisions of Bristol, Fairey and Saunders-Roe were merged with Westland to form Westland Helicopters in 1961.

Please follow one of the Links below to view the other British companies

Click here to view the Fairey Aviation Helicopters in the Collection      Click here to view the AgustaWestland Helicopters in the Collecton

 
Bristol Type 171 Sycamore Mk.3, G-ALSX Bristol Type 171 Sycamore Mk.3

Built in 1951 at Filton, near Bristol and first flown on 30th April 1951 and was allocated as a company demonstrator. In 1951 it was used for aircraft carrier landing trials on HMS Triumph. It also played a significant part in the relief work during the Dutch flood disaster of 1953. In April 1991 it was allocated to the Apprentice Training School at Westland as a training project and was then returned to the museum for restoration of the cockpit area.

Bristol Belvedere HC Mk.1, XG452 Bristol Belvedere HC Mk.1

Built as the 5th prototype it first flew in February 1960 at Weston-super-Mare. A tandem rotor heavy transport helicopter and represents the only British tandem rotor helicopter to enter series production. The museum aircraft was declared "surplus to operational requirements" by the RAF in 1967. Parts from a variety of sources, including Singapore, were located to aid the restoration. XG452 . The Belvedere is currently under going major restoration.

Bristol Type 171 Sycamore HC Mk.14 Bristol Type 171 Sycamore HC Mk.14

Built in Weston-super-Mare in 1957 and the last Sycamore to be delivered to the RAF and one of the last to be withdrawn from service. It was flown, in a support role, with the SAS, at El Adem, in Aden and then with the Khormaksar Search and Rescue Flight until March 1964 and transferred to the RAF's Metropolitan Communications Squadron on VIP communications duties. In 1970, No.32 Squadron started replacing its Sycamores and in 1971 was acquired by the City of Bristol Museum and remained in storage until 1978 when it was put on display at the newly-opened Bristol Industrial Museum at Prince's Wharf. Due to redevelopment of the museum it was transferred to the Helicopter Museum in October 2007.

Copyright 2017 All images and information on this site are the copyright of the Museum.
Any reproduction is strictly with prior permission of the Museum